Writing The Wrongs

Thursday, October 22, 2009

My mind likes to wander


It forms the next in line thought before I arrive there, so that it will be ready for me, and it is usually an advantage, but it does make it hard to stop sometimes.
I wish I could at least have a say in where it's heading, but I don't.

It's one thing when you're all alone with your thoughts and it's off on it's own, but when you're in a situation where your thoughts become your words in an instant, and those words are directed at a certain someone, it's a different story.




In most situations one would prefer to control the words spoken as to control the outcome of the conversation, especially if the conversation is turning into a fight. However, a mind going about as it sees fit could also conjure pleasant outcomes. Outcomes one otherwise wouldn't have dared to aim for, and most often in situations where one doesn't feel at ease.
Over-thinking comments, situations, incidents and surroundings rarely lead to any good, so why not let the mind work on it's own premises once in a while?

Personally I rarely find myself in a situation where my mind gets me into trouble, and it rarely puts me in places I find myself surprised to be, however, it does like messing with me by putting random pictures and ideas into my line of thought when I'm trying to concentrate. I guess this could be called a normal sense of disturbance or even the urges of an imposed need for mainstream entertainment.

Lately I've observed countless incidents where this urge has won the battle and with it the control of the mind, shutting down all focus on the task that was at hand. It annoys me that fewer and fewer seem to master the skill of concentration and thus the ability to be at their best at their own cue. To succumb to the minds own will, only to be able to contemplate wonders and topics outside the medias attention for a maximum of mere minutes, before seemingly loosing interest.


The interest isn't lost, it's simply concealed by the aforementioned urge. Once one manages to avoid giving in to the urge, one will find the interest for the topic is refreshed and the concentration is yet intact. The ability to maintain one's concentration will on the other hand subside by time, resulting in some sort of break.
This, however, is only healthy, and most welcome as one in general feels refreshed afterwards, ready for a new go at the topic.

No comments: