Writing The Wrongs

Monday, September 28, 2009

Don't stop building


Earlier I wrote about a grand puzzle that most people fail to, or neglect to build, rather focusing on their own smaller puzzle, which includes only themselves and those they care about. However, I didn’t account for the event of pieces gone missing. What if parts of the puzzle would be to perish? What if we lose someone? Will the void in our puzzle be filled by other pieces or will it remain forever?

I see no way for anyone to fill in the very same pieces I find my friends filling in. The gratitude and affection I feel towards them is beyond comparison to anything or anyone else, and if I would be so damned as to lose any of them, I would never, and I mean never be able to fill that void.
When I meet new people, they come with new pieces for my puzzle. Those pieces are neither stacked on top of the others nor are they put in their place, they are placed around the edges, not meaning they are in any way less appreciated, only that they will for ever have their unique place, and thus expanding the entire puzzle.

The more important the persons role is in my life, the more pieces they bring, and the bigger their part of the puzzle is. The ones who take up most of my puzzle have pieces representing everything I know about them; their ability to make me smile just by thinking about them (I'm even smiling as I'm writing this), their ability to make me laugh just by giving a certain look or the tiniest comment (or by going way, way, way, waaay too far with a joke, which often results in only the two of us laughing like hell and the rest thinking "what the fuck?").
Other big parts would represent how I feel safe and at home no matter where we're at and what we're doing, just because I know exactly who it is that's sitting next to me, and that you know exactly who I am as well. Or how I know I can rely on you no matter what I do, and no matter what happens to me, because you would walk through fire (yes, walk, not run, that's how tough you are) and fight anyone, even though they're flying like butterflies and stinging like bees, just to save me.

I come to think that having someone so important in your life is quite dangerous in a way. That if the person would be to disappear from your life and seemingly destroy your puzzle, you'd have no way of rebuilding it. But I can't fight the feeling, or even the fact that having a grand puzzle for as long as you possibly can and maybe one day losing parts, if not all of it, still beats never having one at all. And if I so were to get some voids in it, then I hope I'll manage to build the puzzle larger, so that the voids will seem smaller and less significant than they were at their origin. Yet the voids will always be there, because no one, and I mean no one will be able to fill in your pieces.

No comments: