Writing The Wrongs

Friday, September 11, 2009

Staying sharp




















This guy has figured it out.
Making sure the play is his to win even before he starts playing.
But of course this fellow has a bit more to him than just playing them cards right, so enough about him.

We can't all be superheroes, but we can at least get better at playing them cards of ours; what to say and do when and where is key.

I'm often taken aback by the way people act without thought. Not to think before one acts is basically equivalent of acting like an animal.


René Descartes; "Cogito ergo sum" or "I think, therefore I am"


Not to think is simply unthinkable. Surely many would quite ironically think of this as an attack on spontaneity, but even a spontaneous act is performed with some reasoning as foundation, however brief it is.

An action performed without any thought or reflection is to me like gambling. You don't know what exactly you're throwing out there and you have no idea what you're gonna get back.
I don't like gambling. I like control. I like playing with a set of rules and boundaries, so that I can understand and predict others' actions and vice versa. The more I think before I act, the fewer surprises all around. We would never get to know one another if we constantly acted without thinking, because there would be nothing left to separate you from the next guy.


"Your actions define you as a person" - This is true, only if you think before you act.

"Your actions define you as an animal" - This is true, only if you don't.



Personally I want to be as much like Gambit as possible. Fictively I'd love to be like him in every way, but realistically I would at least want that ability of his; to be able to play my best cards at all given times and still have an ace up my sleeve.


No comments: